Wednesday, December 2, 2009

the monitor



connor is hooked up to this apnea monitor all the time. it is designed to have an alarm go off if his heart rate is too fast or too slow or if he doesn't take a breath every 20 seconds. i have a love/hate relationship with it. the monitor drives me crazy. it will sometimes go off in the middle of the night if the cords are not properly in place. this will wake us all up and freak me out. i have to drag it around with me on my shoulder when i take him to change him or move him from room to room. it is not heavy. it reminds me of when i used to have a pull out stereo in my car and had to take it every where. it is about the same size. it is just a pain to have these cords hanging from the baby all the time. so i hate it because it is inconvenient and then i love it because it keeps me from wondering if he is breathing.

the monitor has gone off four times because of his breathing and heart rate. twice for low heart rate and twice for breathing. every time it goes off i become insane with worry. today it has gone off twice and i won't leave his side because i am afraid it will go off again. ugh. this thing is making me crazy. i am not sure how long he will have to have the monitor. they are supposed to evaluate the results in two weeks. i wonder if i will miss it when it is gone.

No comments: